Describe the main features of the Jacobin club in France during the French Revolution.
Points to remember
- Jacobin club was formed to discuss government policies and plan their form of action .
- Its members belonged to less prosperous sections of society.
- Jacobins, in 1792 , planned an insurrection of a large number of Parisians .
- On August 10 , they stormed the Palace of the Tuileries , massacred the king’s guard and held the king hostage .
- Later the Assembly voted to imprison the royal family .
- Elections were held and all men of 21 years and above, regardless of wealth got the right to vote .
- The new elected assembly was called the Convention .
- On 21st September 1792 , it abolished the monarchy and declared France a republic .