Explain how France became a constitutional monarchy.
Points to remember
- Representatives of the third estate declared themselves as a national assembly and swore to draft a constitution to limit the power of the monarch .
- They completed the draft of the constitution in 1791 .
- They divided the powers into the judiciary , executive and legislature .
- This made France a constitutional monarchy .
Answer to be written
- Representatives of the Third Estate, on 20 June, assembled in the hall of an indoor tennis court in Versailles and declared themselves a National Assembly and swore not to disperse till they had drafted a constitution for France to limit the powers of the monarch .
- The National Assembly completed the draft of the constitution in 1791 intending to limit the power of the monarch .
- Instead of concentrating powers in the hands of one person , these powers were now separated and assigned to different institutions - the legislative , executive and judiciary .
- This made France a constitutional monarch.