Read the given extract and answer the questions
I sit inside, doors open to the veranda
writing long letters
in which I scarcely mention the departure
of the forest from the house.
The night is fresh, the whole moon shines
in a sky still open
the smell of leaves and lichen
still reaches like a voice into the rooms.
What is the speaker doing in this extract?
- a) He or she is sitting inside and writing long letters to someone.
- b) He or she is sitting outside and watching the moon and the stars.
- c) He or she is sitting inside and reading old letters from someone.
- d) He or she is sitting outside and listening to the sounds of the forest.
Answer written by the student:
a) He or she is sitting inside and writing long letters to someone.
- The speaker's action is what he or she is doing in this extract.
- To identify the speaker's action, we need to look at the words and phrases that describe his or her activity.
- The poet uses words and phrases like "I sit inside", "doors open to the veranda", "writing long letters" to describe what the speaker is doing in this extract. These words and phrases show that the speaker is sitting inside the house, near the veranda, and writing long letters to someone.📝
What does the word "scarcely" mean in this extract?