Explain the working and application of a sonar.
SONAR stands for SO und N avigation A nd R anging.
Working of SONAR
SONAR has two components
- A transmitter- for transmitting ultrasonic waves
- A detector- for detecting the reflected ultrasonic waves
Sonar is installed in a boat or a ship.
- The transmitter transmits ultrasonic waves.
- These waves travel through water and after striking the object on the seabed, get reflected back and are sensed by the detector.
- The detector converts the ultrasonic waves into electrical signals, which are later interpreted.
Applications of SONAR
- It is used to find depth of sea
- It is also used to locate underwater hills, valley, submarines etc
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel - https://you.tube/teachoo