Why is the cell called the structural and functional unit of life ?
Cells are the building blocks of all life forms .
- Each cell has the capacity to perform certain functions that are characteristic of all living organisms .
- Different types of cells have different structures and components suited for performing different functions .
For Example -
Nerve cells are highly branched and have conductive channels that are suitable for their function of transmitting signals from one body part to another.
- They are hence called the functional unit of life.
- Along with life functions, cells also provide structure to the body of the organism.
- The strength , rigidity , flexibility and other such physical factors depend on the type of cells present.
- Hence it is also called the structural unit of life.